So I’ve decided this is going to be a pandan sponge cake with strawberry buttercream frosting. Have been scouring Google for recipes and here is what I’ll use:
6 large eggs
1/2 cup of caster sugar
1.5 cups of all purpose flour (sifted)
1 teaspoon of pandan paste (if you can’t get fresh pandan leaves)
.5 tsp baking powder
.5 cup butter, 1 stick
.5 cup butter, softened
2.5 cups confectioners sugar
.5 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 tsp strawberry extract
2-4 tbsp hot water
1 drop pink food colouring
4 chopped strawberries
(Maybe, I don’t have enough heavy cream for this)Chantilly cream
1.5 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
A punnet of strawberries
Dr. Oetker’s glaze (or any gelatin mix)
1. Heat oven to 180 °C (355°F). Line 2 8×8 inch square baking pans.
2. Whisk the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the pandan paste (A)
3. Sift together flour, baking powder (B)
3. Stir in 1/3 portion of B over the A and fold in gently. Repeat until all the flour has been used.
4. Pour cake mixture into the pans dividing the batter evenly between the two pans.
5. Bake for about 10-20 minutes until golden brown.
6. Let cool
7. Beat butter in a bowl
8. Slowly add powdered sugar, beating on low,
9. Add vanilla, strawberry extract, hot water, and pink food colouring. Add as much hot water as to give the icing a smooth, spreading consistency
10. Separate about a third of the icing from the mix and add the chopped strawberries.
11. Spread this on one of the cake layers
12. Place the other cake layer on top and frost all around
13. Core the remaining strawberries and arrange upright in the middle of the cake, leaving a border for frosting
14. Pipe little rosettes of buttercream around the edge of the cake
15. Make the glaze according to instructions on the packet and glaze the strawberries in the middle
16. Garnish the sides with almond slices.
(If I make chantilly cream, that will go into the middle layer instead of frosting).
17. Beat the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla in a chilled medium bowl until stiff-ish peaks form (you want one step further than soft peaks.
18. Be careful not to over beat or the cream will separate.
19. Chill until ready to assemble cake.